Monday 28 September 2015

Managing My Will and Power of Attorney by Sarah Evans

A few weeks ago, I wrote that I was thinking about my will. Last week, I went to see the lawyer. The process was surprisingly easy. The key was thinking about what I wanted ahead of time. The two major decisions I had to make were how I wanted to divide my estate and who I wanted to name as executor (I had to name a second person as well in case the first is unavailable). I will have to go back in a few weeks once the lawyer has made up my will.

While I was at the lawyer's, I also created a power of attorney. There are a couple of different kinds of power of attorney: one to take care of your finances and one to make personal decisions on your behalf. Creating a power of attorney is almost more relevant at this point in my life. A couple of years ago, I was very ill and it would have been very helpful for me and my family if I'd had a power of attorney then.

It's important that these documents are in place, not only for me but also for my loved ones. 

Here is a helpful link to give you more information about Living Wills and Power of Attorney. Wills and Power of Attorney are not just for elderly people. If you're an adult, there could be a time when people will have to make decisions for you because you physically or mentally cannot. It is good for people to know who you trust to make those decisions and what you would decide if you had the ability to communicate your wishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment