Friday 2 October 2015

More Independence by Sarah Evans

A few years ago, I applied to a program called Direct Funding. The program gives consumers like myself the funds to manage my own attendant care. I had put my application in and was put on a waiting list.

For the most part, this had gone to the back of my mind until last week, when I received a letter saying that my application had come up. In addition to submitting an updated application, I had to book a time to go in for an interview.

In preparation for this, I was directed to a website with a study guide. As I will be the employer, I will have to understand pay cheques, deductions, vacation, employment standards and the like.

I have mixed feelings about this important opportunity. I'm excited because if I get accepted I would have more control over my attendant services, such as where I receive them and what I ask them to do. I am also kind of nervous about having to handle the payroll and other administration tasks. However, I have heard that it is not that difficult once you get a system in place and there are many supporters available. 

Gail Vaz-Oxlade is well known for her matter of fact way of helping people manage their money. She has great resources on her website, including instructions for making your own budget sheet. This is her website if you feel you need to learn a little more about managing money and developing systems to help you keep track of expenses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment