Wednesday 4 April 2018

Olympic Surprise by Danielle Pellerine

You hear these stories in the news of celebrities surprising teams and various other groups. You think, "Wouldn't it be cool if something like that happened to my sledge hockey team." You say "It will likely never happen to us," until one day, it does! Let me take you to that day...

The day was Wednesday, March 28th, 2018.  We were having our last sledge hockey practice at 2pm that afternoon, thinking that it was going to be just a usual practice. It quickly turned into something amazing!

We warmed up and did a couple of fun drills. We were just getting ready to have a short scrimmage to end our incredible sledge hockey season when suddenly, our former coach asks around about where I am because she wanted to show me something. She came over and pulled something out from her pocket that I wasn't expecting...an Olympic Silver Medal, from the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang! She asked me if I knew who Olympic hockey player Jill Saulnier was and I replied that I did. She pointed to a lady and told me that was her!

Jill was very kind, allowing us to hold the medal (or display it somehow if it was not physically possible to hold), which was so surreal. I actually thought I was in a dream!  It just so happened that I brought my camera that day, and I was able to get a picture of me holding the silver medal with Jill Saulnier! I will definitely be framing that one!

After our practice was done, I was waiting for my turn to get off the ice and was able to speak to Jill briefly. We discussed her first time trying sledge hockey just the week before. She also told me that she really liked our jerseys. All in all, it was an amazing experience for me and my teammates, one that will leave a lasting impact on our lives!

Jill, thank you very much for stopping by sledge hockey last week. Thank you to everyone else who had a hand in making this amazing experience possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment