Wednesday 20 December 2017

Don't "Dis" My Ability by Jess Silver


My name is Jess Silver. I am a writer, sports fan, traveler and fitness enthusiast. I have cerebral palsy and need a wheelchair and assistance to get around. Despite this I have never allowed my challenge to get in my way of achieving any personal and professional goals because to me it's a hurdle to jump over, not a reason to stop doing anything. 

Professionally, I am a medical writer, adversity management coach/consultant, and executive director of a non-profit organization, called Flex for Access Inc. Being knowledgeable on topics related to fitness and sport has allowed me to create written content for both research and experience based on the importance of sport and physical activity for all. What began as a love of my home basketball team – the Toronto Raptors – and for other teams, transformed into using sport to manage bullying, physical pain and injuries for me. Through working with Michelle at Ability Online, I assist members with disability management with a focus on fitness and sport. 

Flex for Access Inc. is a non-profit organization that acts as an avenue to allow individuals with disabilities and injuries to engage in accessible and adaptive fitness and sport. More info can be found @flexforaccess. 

Every body and mind is different. We must understand it as such, and see challenges as creating uniquely different gears to move the machine of humankind forward. Don’t "dis" my ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment